From Blane Chocklett and Temple Fork Outfitters.......the TFO "Esox" Musky Fly Rods.
Blane designed these fly rods to excel.....and for the money, you are not going to find a better tool to help in your pursuit of these apex preadators.
Designed on the Mangrove blank, the actions have been tweaked a bit to optimize the casting of huge musky flies, and sinking lines often used. The butt sections are also very strong for fighting these brutes. The really cool thing is the handle design with the extended grip below the reel seat. This allows for additional leverage and also allows you something to grab onto when doing the so important "figure 8" with your fly.
Here's what TFO's Jim Shuin had to say about these rods:
"In order to chase big fish, you need a rod that can handle bushy, air resistant flies. Enter the “Esox” fly rod by Temple Fork Outfitters. After a successful launch of the Mangrove Series fly rods, Temple Fork Outfitters has expanded the line to include a 300-400 and 400-500 grain family of musky fly rods.
Built with the hardcore angler in mind, the “Esox” series utilizes TFO’s proprietary TiCr blank coating, which helps protect the rod from the occasional collision with a weighted fly or gunnel. Topped with TFO’s proprietary Tactical Guides™, won't break or pop out like traditional ceramic guides. The unique non-glare chestnut colored blank features a modified full-wells grip and an extended, IGFA compliant fighting butt. The exaggerated fighting butt aides the angler in picking up and casting large flies and heavy lines. It is also beneficial in the alluring ‘figure-eight’ motion when attempting to illicit a strike near the boat. Cleverly machined hook keeps on each side of the aluminum up-locking reel seat finish out the rod."
The TFO Esox Musky Fly Rods are available in two weights.....9/10 and 11/12 and are 9' 4pc. The 9/10 is rated for 300-400 grain sinking lines and the 11/12 is rated for 400-500 grain sinking lines (of course they cast floating lines very well also). They do not come with a rod tube but do come with the un-conditional lifetime warranty as all Temple Fork Outfitters fly rods.
Lines we like on these rods:
Floating- Rio Pike/Musky- go with the 9wt or 11wt
Sinking Lines- Orvis Depth Charge- 350 grain for the 9/10 and 450 for the 11/12
* Please remember, if you decide to "Make this an Outfit".....simply purchase a reel and a line and tell us which hand your retrieve the reel with. We'll load up the reel properly and the backing will be on us! Click the "Outfit" tab above for more details.
For information on shipping, returns, our guarantee and more....please see our FAQ page
Make it an Outfit!
It's simple! Buy a Rod, Reel and Fly Line on our online store. Then, when you check out....simply write in the "Order Notes" section- Make it an Outfit!
We'll load up the appropriate amount and size of backing and the line on the reel for you..... the backing and proper rigging is on the house and of course the shipping is FREE!!
That's right, buy a combo of a fly rod, fly reel and fly line...and we'll put it together for you!
* Fly Line Backing comes in 20lb and 30lb test. It also comes in white, chartreuse and orange colors. Please specify if you have a particular need or want....if not specified, we will put on what we feel is appropriate for the outfit.
* Please specify whether you are right or left hand retrieve so that we can set-up and load the reel properly- put this in the "Order Notes" as well.
* Feel free to call us or e-mail us with any questions as we will also do the same if we have any for you.
We are passionate about putting together the Fly Rod and Reel Outfit of your dreams and have just made it easier than ever!
- Pick a Fly Rod HERE
- Pick any Fly Reel HERE
- Pick any Fly Line HERE
- Write in the "Order Notes" to "Make it an Outfit" and be sure to tell us whether you reel with your right or left hand
- Call us or e-mail if you have any questions or specific rigging requests
It's easy and secure to buy your fly rod and reel outfit with: