A day of multi-bug rigs, wind-resistant indicators and the requisite high-stick rod position can be enough to make your arm fall off before lunch. But the fact is, there simply isn’t a more reliable, effective technique for finding big fish. Which is why SAGE created the 99.
Built with the same advanced G5 Technology as their Z-Axis rods, the most obvious nymph-specific feature of the 99 is its namesake 9-foot, 9-inch length, which makes short work of long, drag-free drifts. But that’s just the beginning. The 99’s unique taper loads lower on the blank to generate open loops, helping avoid tangles with multiple fly and indicator rigs. At the same time, a stiffer tip section handles heavy payload delivery but retains the sensitivity needed to detect subtle takes.
The 99s also feature slightly oversized guides specifically placed to make stack mending, shake-out and line feeding easier. Put it all together and you have a light, perfectly balanced rod that casts like a 9-footer but fishes like a 10. High-Stickers rejoice!
* Medium-fast action
* Proprietary taper design utilizing Generation 5 technology
* Forest green shaft color
* Gold trim wraps/Dark green primary wraps
* Hard chromed snake guides, and Hard alloy stripper guides
* #4 and #5 rods are outfitted with Cocobolo wood reel seat inserts and dark nickel-colored aluminum reel seat components, reversed half-wells grip
* #6, #7 and #8 rods are outfitted with dark nickel-colored aluminum reel seat with a full-wells cork grip
* Khaki fabric rod bag with Gold silk-screened logo
* Evergreen-colored powder coated aluminum tube with Gold components and Gold silk-screened logo
The 4wt and 5wt 99 rods feature a trout type cigar grip and the rest feature the full-wells.
***We are absolutely thrilled with these rods and have been casting them for a few weeks as of 10-1-09. Finally, someone has made a high-stick nymph/steelhead rod that casts.......and casts EXTREMELY well.